Fitness Franchise Review

During this edition of FranNet’s blog series, we’re going to take a look at a franchise category that’s really “shaping up.” Fitness franchise opportunities are thriving. Some experts believe it has to do with the increasingly diverse exercise options available for beginning a routine. Think about this—around 30 years ago, a craze swept the nation simply known as “jogging.” Now referred to as running, it’s a regular routine for millions and millions of Americans. And running has branched out in several different directions. There are adventure runs, trail runs, endurance runs and the ubiquitous “Tough Mudder.”

But while running has become a staple for many, there is also the booming popularity of yoga, spin cycle classes, kickboxing, martial arts, cross training, cross fitness, triathlons. Is it any wonder that the amount of interest seems to correlate directly with the choices involved? Many of the competitions designed to work within these options require a regular fitness routine. And where can individuals turn to for that kind of commitment? Well, we used to call it a gym, right?

Coupling people’s increasing interest in fitness, technology, and nutrition have also entered the equation. More than 80 percent of runners use some form of GPS-enabled tracking devices. These wrist accouterments deliver instant data on distance covered, time, heart rate and peak performance. It’s also accepted that nutrition and diet account for 80 percent of weight loss, with exercise taking up the remaining 20 percent. Which is why many fitness-based businesses are offering programs designed around healthy eating habits.

Getting the word out about fitness has never been easier. On any given weekend, no matter how small or large a city, 5K events are bound to be found. Many link up with charitable causes, drawing in further interest from afar.

But is there a stable market for sustaining a fitness-based franchise? We’ll let the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition 2016 statistics speak for themselves. If you ever thought of investigating a fitness franchise, here’s are some statistics that bolster your argument:

  • More than 80 percent of adults do not meet the guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening activities
  • Only about one in five homes have parks within a half-mile, and about the same number have a fitness or recreation center within that distance
  • Recent reports project that by 2030, half of all adults (115 million) in the United States will be obese

Perhaps you’re a bit of a fitness buff yourself. It’s an area of expertise you know well. Clearly the interest in this country for getting fit is visible. And the same goes for the absolute need for outlets to accomplish obtaining a better you. Only one in five homes have a fitness or recreation center within a half-mile of their front door. That’s means 80 percent of Americans don’t have easy access to a gym or fitness center right in their own backyard! 

If you’ve ever thought seriously about opening your own fitness-based franchise, the timing couldn’t be better. If we’ve made a sound case, why not stop by FranNet after your next jog. We can discuss your interest over a couple of cold Gatorades. Our treat.

Let’s chat! There’s a local FranNet consultant right in your market who knows that market inside and out – knows the personality of the market – knows the competitive landscape. FranNet has a great track record of assisting individuals on their path to entrepreneurship, and one of our franchise experts would love to provide you with guidance free of charge. Sound like something you might be interested in? Get started here and find your local consultant right now!

Apr 11, 2017