I know I am! Not being a do-it-yourselfer, I have to hire out for the vast majority of my home repairs and renovations. Seems like a simple task, right, merely dial a number and then write a check? My recent experience has been quite the opposite. If I am able to get someone to answer the phone or return a call, I’m told it will be a few months before they can get to my project!
Might there be an opportunity here for aspiring business owners? I believe so. There is strong demand due to the increased amount of time people are spending working and living in their homes, in addition to increased repair work as a result of natural disasters (I’m a recent flood victim myself). Now could be a perfect time to take a serious look at owning a home services franchise. Here are a few of the advantages of being part of a franchise system in this booming sector of the economy:
- Owner works “on” the business and not “in” it, and therefore does not need technical experience, but rather strong managerial and customer service skills
- Most franchisors provide a call center that promptly and professionally handles inbound calls and may even book appointments and/or close a sale!
- Franchisors have developed effective marketing strategies to drive prospects to that call center and/or website
- Franchisors will train you on how to manage and market the business, and how to recruit and manage your technicians
- In addition to comprehensive upfront training, the franchisor will provide ongoing support to help you start and stay in business
- Name recognition may also be a benefit depending on how long the franchisor has had a presence in your market. But, in any case, you’ll benefit from professional branding, web presence and initial handling of prospects
The combination of heavy demand and the benefits of the franchise model can provide prospective business owners with a running start and a leg-up over the independents that are having trouble keeping up! As always, thorough due diligence is required on any franchise model to determine if it’s right for YOU.
Feel free to call me with any questions, or if you just want to chat. My services are always at no charge and there is never any obligation. I’m always happy to help in any way that I can, including career search, business exploration and professional networking.
Also, I’d encourage you to attend one or more of our online events, a schedule of which can be found at http://michiganfranchise.blogspot.com/.
And good luck with those home projects!
Mark Cory FranNet of Michigan 313-821-5060 [email protected]