The International Franchise Association (IFA) recently honoured three young, Canadian franchising entrepreneurs as part of an annual competition meant to highlight up and coming franchises.
As part of its 2018 NextGen in Franchising Global Competition, the IFA’s Franchise Education & Research Foundation (FER) recognized the founder of virtual reality arcade Ctrl V Robert Bruski and food service Hopscotch co-founders Aiden and Wyatt Booth.
To participate in the competition, the young entrepreneurs had to submit their franchise business plans to the IFA for the chance to be among the top 20 finalists. The NextGen in Franchising Global Competition is a worldwide program open to entrepreneurs ages 21-35 who want to grow their businesses through franchising.
The top three finalists got the chance to pitch their businesses to a panel of industry judges, including Shark Tank star Daymond John, and 4,000 convention attendees at the IFA’s annual convention Feb. 10-13. Cash prizes ranged from $5,000 – $10,000. Last year, Jennifer Turliuk, CEO of MakerKids in Canada, took home first place in the competition.
‘This year’s NextGen in Franchising Global Competition was the most competitive yet, with nearly 900 applicants from around the world vying for the chance to attend the IFA Annual Convention and to pitch their business,’ said David McKinnon, CFE, Foundation vice chair and chairman of the NextGen in Franchising Committee. ‘We continue to be impressed year after year with the quality of submissions we receive and the high calibre of these young entrepreneurs that represent the future of franchising. We’re excited to meet this year’s winners and provide them with unmatched mentoring and support from the world’s top franchise business leaders.’
Wyatt Booth said it was an honour for Hopscotch to get the nod in the competition.
‘Hopscotch was founded out of the desire to get more from our food, while doing so with conscious thought about our environmental and social responsibility,’ Booth said. ‘While it has always been a dream to expand our passion through franchising, bringing chef-inspired and farm-driven dishes to neighbourhoods across the globe, the NextGen in Franchising opportunity allows us to gain the tools and network we need to make this dream a reality. It is truly an honour and pleasure to take part in the summit, connect with incredible people, and learn what to implement into our business for continued success.’
As a NextGen finalist, Booth and the other finalists who finished outside the top three received a spot at the NextGen in Franchising Summit, a two-day educational and networking program for next generation entrepreneurs at the IFA Annual Convention in Phoenix, AZ. Finalists also got their projects put into an accelerator program with industry leaders and CEOs.
The full list of winners for the NextGen in Franchising Global Competition is:
- Grand prize: Landon and Kat Eckles, Clean Juice Franchising, LLC (United States)
- 1st runner up: Andrew Cameron, Donutology (United States)
- 2nd runner up: Devan Kline, Burn Boot Camp (United States)
- Social franchise winner: Stella Sigana, Alternative Waste Technologies (Kenya)
- Robert Bruski, Ctrl V (Canada)
- Wyatt and Aiden Booth, Hopscotch (Canada)
- Bazil Mwotta Biddemu, MoBFIT (Uganda)
- Danny Park, RoboThink, LLC (United States)
- Dillon Orr, Johnny On The Spot Mobile Wash (United States)
- Ernie Beltz, Jr., Little Land Play Gym & Pediatric Therapy (United States)
- Gerardo Escudero Samara, Chillout Lounge (Nicaragua)
- James Chege, Usalama Tech Group Limited (Kenya)
- Jeremy Dyer, Total Fitouts (Australia)
- Jerod Evanich, A Place At Home (United States)
- Kennedy Lamwenya, SunPoynt Energy (Kenya)
- Ma Jonalyn Sison, Skinpotions Inc (Phillippines)
- Marko Kasic, Football for Life Academy (Phillippines)
- Matej Varhalik, SPEEDFIT (Australia)
- Milan Szabo, Anjuna Ice Pops (Hungary)
- Neran De Silva, Cryo Australia (Australia)
If you want to experience the thrill of entrepreneurialism for yourself, sign up for a free FranNet franchise search and consultation today and let us help you on your way to business ownership.