Kumon Math and Reading Centers Franchise
To buy a franchise with Kumon Math and Reading Centers, you'll need to have at least $70000 in liquid capital and a minimum net worth of $150000. Kumon Math and Reading Centers charges a franchise fee of $1000.
Total Units: -
Year Founded: 1954
Franchising Since: 1958
Home Office: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Locations Available: See Below*
Liquid Capital Required: $70,000
Net Worth Required: $150,000
Total Investment: $73,373 – $154,825
Franchise Fee: $1,000
Royalty Type: -
Vetern Discount: -
*Kumon Math and Reading Centers is currently accepting inquiries from the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District Of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Values & History
In 1954 Japan, a father and gifted math teacher named Toru Kumon wanted his young son, Takeshi, to develop a love for learning. He also wanted him to be thoroughly prepared for the rigorous high school and college entrance exams in his future. Each day, Toru gave Takeshi short, incremental assignments to complete, allowing his son to master each concept completely before learning a new skill. The method was so successful that by sixth grade, Takeshi was solving calculus problems. As young Takeshi Kumon's ability improved, other parents took notice and their interest in Toru Kumon's unique step-by-step self-learning method grew. Today, Kumon has helped millions of students in 50 countries.
Kumon has consistently been recognized as one of the best in the industry. In 2019, we were named by Entrepreneur Magazine as the Best in Industry and were ranked #14 on their prestigious Franchise 500 list. Kumon is the world's largest educational franchise and has over 1,500 centers in the U.S. alone. Since 2006 our U.S. enrollment has increased by 77%, and our average enrollment per center has increased by 45%. In order to continue to meet the worldwide demand for educational services--which shows no signs of slowing down and currently represents a $100 billion industry--Kumon has continued to grow. Our centers have increased by 21% since 2006, with more to come.
Training & Support
With over 1,500 locations in the U.S. alone, Kumon has proven that our model works. In order to be sure that you are ready to offer the exceptional learning experiences that we've become known for, and to help to assure your success as a business owner, we have developed an extensive training and support opportunities to help you on your way.
Once you qualify as a potential Kumon Franchise owner, you'll participate in our Kumon Instructor Development Program. There will be two four-day sessions of training, held over a two-month period, at our Kumon University in Ridgefield Park, New Jersey. You'll also participate in a series of Center visits for more hands-on training. Here we'll train you in the Kumon Curriculum and the Kumon Method, as well as business strategies for owning and operating a Kumon Center. As a Kumon Center owner, you'll also take part in our continuing education programs to refine your skills and further enhance your success. Branch Manager and Field Consultants are available to offer you guidance after you open, and you'll have the opportunity to participate in monthly meetings with other instructors in your area to support your center as you grow.
Ideal Candidate & Qualifications
While having a background in education can prove quite valuable, it is certainly not a requirement for becoming a Kumon franchise owner (though you must have a bachelor's degree). However, it is very important that you have a passion for working with children and believe in our mission of helping them become independent, self-assured, and confident leaders of tomorrow. Many of our current owners came to us with some kind of business background, and many have their own children currently or previously enrolled in Kumon.
Additional requirements include:
- Proficiency in math and reading
- The ability to create and manage a center that effectively motivates children in the Kumon Learning Method, and an interest in and commitment to helping children in your community
- The ability to deliver an excellent customer experience while maintaining dedication to Kumon's core values
- A good understanding of the area, and strong ties to the community
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A full-time commitment to Kumon — typically, an average of 6-8 hours per business day
- U.S. citizen or green card holder (permanent legal resident)
Purchasing a Kumon Math and Reading Centers Franchise
Kumon is committed to making our franchise as affordable as possible and was named by Entrepreneur Magazine as a Top Low-Cost Franchise in 2019. To qualify as a potential Kumon franchise owner, you'll need to have a net worth of $150,000 and liquid capital of $70,000. From an initial investment perspective, the amount you'll need ranges from $73,373 to $154,825, depending heavily on where you plan to open your center. It is recommended that you have $13,500 - $18,000 in additional funds for operating expenses during your first three months. Our Franchise Fee, included in your total investment, is just $1,000.
Expenses Covered by KumonWe cover expenses up to $36,000:
- Rent for Your Center: We cover 50% of your rent for the first 12 months, up to $1,000 a month. This can add up to $12,000 covered for you!
- Primary Signage: You'll be reimbursed, upon installation, for the cost of the fabrication and installation of your signage. This is generally a reimbursement of between $3,000 and $7,000!
- Furniture and Fixtures: We will deliver the Kumon furniture and fixtures you'll need to open your Centera value of $8,900!
- Paint, Carpet, and Window Coverings: We will reimburse up to $5,500 to ensure that you have the correct paint, carpet and window treatments for your Center.
- New Center Marketing: We recommend you spend $4,000 on marketing during the first three months of opening your Center. When you spend the $4,000, you'll receive a 50% reimbursement!
- Kumon Lead Management Telephone System: Our lead management telephone system will tie you with our Call Centerthey'll take care of calling leads and scheduling appointments for you!